Those of you who know me, know my mother recently passed away. While going through her things, I found some photos of a cousin who I always loved dearly. Her name is Pat. Pat was adopted at age 7 or 8 by my aunt and uncle, my aunt being my father's oldest sister.
Pat's was adopted from an agency in Dallas. She had siblings, and her brother was adopted by some friends of my aunt and uncle. Pat and I lost touch for several years, and within the past year, have re-established contact. Fond memories of Pat and time we spent together continue to warm my soul. She was always so much fun and so real in a family where no one dared be real or allow anyone to know how one really felt. We would baby sit her nieces and nephews and sit up all night and talk.
Pat's mother, my aunt was especially hard on her. I always felt sad leaving her when we would leave to return to our home, as I knew on some level she was being mistreated by my aunt and uncle. I have since discovered they believed mightly in "spare the rod or spoil the child." I know Pat was physically and emotionally abused by today's standards. She was a modern day Cinderella.
One fact I recently learned is Pat has a few photos of her childhood. I found several going through my mom's things. I was so sad to know she did not have a bigger piece of who she was and I was holding a few photos in my posession.
These are a gift to Pat. I have more and will be digging through boxes and have photos scanned and presented to her as a tiny slice of her childhood.
Sunday, June 19, 2005
Long Lost Cousin Long Lost Childhood
Posted by
Hoots Musings
at
9:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I can identify with Pat. Did you know that in Texas, as in most states, it is illegal to spank, in any form, a foster child?
Pat's story is probably repeated many times, especially years ago when there wasn't the understanding of childhood trauma and attachment issues that there is today.
Seven is consider "an older child adoptee." Actually, some experts consider 6 months and older a child is in a different category than a child adopted at birth. However, years ago children were treated as if what happened prior to the new family, really didn't matter.
It is rare that any child should be spanked. For an older child adoptee, it is devastating.
What a great gift you gave your cousin Pat -- the gift of love! The pictures were also a nice touch! :)
Post a Comment