THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Free from the opinions of People



As many of you know, I have been struggling at work with a supervisor who basically broke EEOC law. After filing a grievance (something I agonized over for several days), I still wonder if it was the best thing to do, agonizing over being labeled a trouble maker, a whiner, and a malcontent.

It occurred to me that God has my best interest at heart and He will carry me and it does not matter what anyone thinks of me, I did the right thing.

God usually has the best timing, perfect to be exact. Good brother Bob Gass from New Zealand sent this to my email inbox this morning. I was being anxious and not wanting to go to work, and God gave this gift to me via my email.

We serve an awesome and powerful God who knows our every need!


The Word for Today
With Bob Gass
Tuesday, 23rd August 2005

Free From The Opinions Of People

It matters very little to me what you think of me.
1 Corinthians 4:3 TM

While we should respect the opinions of others, we should never be ruled by them. If you let it, criticism will steal your individuality, rob you of your creativity, and stop you from fulfilling your destiny. That's too much power to give anybody. Insecure people will always criticize you, especially if your choices differ from theirs. That's because they're uncomfortable with things that don't conform to their way of thinking. Secure people can handle being the only one doing something. They can allow others the liberty to be different and to make their own choices. That's because they themselves are secure in who God has called them to be.

Listen: "[He] made himself of no reputation" ( Philippians 2:7). Jesus obviously wasn't too concerned about what others thought of Him. He had a goal - to do the Father's will - no more and no less. And He knew that to do it He had to be free from the opinions of others. So do you! The greatest tragedy that could happen to you would be to grow old and realize that somewhere along the way you lost yourself and never succeeded at being the person God called you to be. And that's a distinct possibility if you allow the opinions of others to rule your life. Paul says, "It matters very little to me what you think of me, even less where I rank in popular opinion. I don't even rank myself...The Master makes that judgment" ( 1 Corinthians 4:3-5 TM). Today, ask God to set you free from the opinions of others.

3 comments:

Sara said...

This was great...I struggle with worry over how people will react to everything I say or do. Isn't that silly? They're just rockin' on and I'm in a snit!! God spoke to my heart once and then I heard about three sermons in a row about how, "It's Not About Me." It's not??? What a revelation!

Hoots Musings said...

Rick Warren slapped me soundly in the head last year when we did 40 days of purpose.

It is not about me it is not about me it is not about me!

Its weird that I have to put in a verification code for my own blog!

Fred said...

Good luck with the EEOC complaint. I was an HR manager for 23 years; I hated getting these. But, if we were wrong, we settled it. It was the right thing to do.