
On July 1, 2005, I was told by Ms. Bash that I would be leaving at 4:00 p.m. to take the HR employee files to my home station at a local hospital for credentialing purposes, (these were the same files in the first post and were over 2 weeks late being delivered to the hospital credentialing office). As it got closer to 4:00 p.m., it was obvious the files were not going to be ready to take that day. Ms. Bash told me I would not be going to my home station to take the HR files, as they did not have the files together. I continued to do my work (I was preparing the past census for 2004 and getting them caught up). I had mentioned to Ms. Bash that my husband and friends were waiting on me and we would be leaving as soon as I got home for a trip to New Mexico for the July 4 weekend. At precisely 5:00 p.m. Ms. Bash wanted me to fax a leave report to all the respective hospitals (4) and to the respective Offices (2). This was a task for which I had not been trained, and I asked, “where would I find the fax numbers?” She hurriedly told me, “On the wall by the fax.” I went over and found the numbers and began to fax the notice. It was clear that lack of planning was no reason to keep me and other staff well past the appointed quitting time of 5:00 p.m. I left the office at 5:15 p.m. that afternoon on a holiday weekend and where overtime is not allowed to be accured.
On or before July 5, 2005, I was still driving daily to O town from my home in M town. To save money, I brought my lunch. As I was eating, I was told by Ms. Bash that it was not a good idea for me to eat lunch in my cubicle because, “it did not look good to the faculty and because they (faculty) were conducting interviews.” I went to the conference room the next day, and discovered the Residents use that room as a private place to make phone calls. From that point, I went out at lunch, sitting in my car in 100 degree weather. It appeared to me that I had clearly been singled out, as others were eating at their desks, as Ms. Bash often does, and nothing was said or done to modify their/her behavior.
Another example of being singled out by Ms. Bash occurred on July 6, 2005. I was assigned the task of setting up Electives for the Residents for their first rotation. I did not email Ms. Bash the changes on Friday, July 1. I chose to wait until Tuesday, July 5, as I was waiting to hear from a doctor’s office to confirm a date for the resident to be in that office. The new rotation started July 5 and had to be approved prior to that date by the Program Director, Dr. Perks. Everything had been approved but one doctor’s office for one Resident. Ms. Bash reprimanded me verbally in the office, and after lunch she reprimanded me again, this time with the “new memo, Rotation 1, (Revision 1)” in her hand. She handed me the memo and told me Dr. Perks had spoken to her regarding the lateness of the memo. She said, “Dr. Perks was not happy that this did not get prior approval on Friday, and he asked me why this happened?” She said, “I told him it was a learning curve simply on your part and that I would discuss it with you.” She wrote on the memo:
Verbally approved 7/6/05 SB(her initials).
Below it she wrote, “Hoots aware all must get approval prior to (copier cut it off word “start”) SB 7/6/05
She wrote below that, “(2nd notice).
The memo was copied and put out for the entire department. I was surprised when a co-worker came back from the copy machine and handed me a schedule with my reprimand in plain view. This is a clear violation of confidentiality by a supervisor.
After lunch, I spoke with my co-worker, Dee Puddles, and told her of my error and how Dr. Perks was not pleased with my performance. Dee Puddeles told me she was standing there when Ms. Bash showed Dr. Perks the memo change, and all he said was, “Oh, Dr. Jones is a good doc.” She said he signed it and handed it back to Ms. Bash, and that is all he said regarding the matter. Ms. Bash mis-represents the truth and exaggerates issues seemingly in order to make my performance look more novice that it truly is.
Friday, December 16, 2005
Job from Hades, Part 3
Posted by
Hoots Musings
at
2:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Good Grief! What kind of place is this? Sounds like a torture chamber.
As opportunity affords it might behoove you to look for something resembling a normal workplace. Trying to work with a belittling taskmaster like you describe is impossible.
Wow. Sounds bad. Living it must be worse.
No worries, I quit the job and unfortunately, after being off for 3 months, just found a new place to go. Will be working for a lady at my church. Praise God!
Well, you've finally got me convinced. The person is crazy. Thank goodness you're not working there any more; best of luck with your new job. It sounds like it's going to be great.
I still think you could contact the labor board!! At least you had the good sense to document everything!!!
Post a Comment