THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 10, 2006


Mickey McKandles


Ken Castle


EC Leslie





The church where I grew up is Monterey Church of Christ in Lubbock.
The people there are near and dear to my heart. Many of the old timers knew both of my parents who are now with Jesus.

Recently, three of the elders resigned. Two of them, Ken Castle and EC Leslie are charter members from 1963. The third is Mickey McKandles who came to Monterey in the 1970's.

Hubby and I were in Lubbock on New Year's, and attended church there, loving and missing the saints there greatly. Sunday after church, we went to United Market Street and got us a to-go salad (they are fabuloso!) I saw Joan McKandles, Mickey's wife at the salad bar, I told her I was sad to hear of Mickey's resignation as elder. She said he did not hear too well, and neither did the other two. EC and Ken felt it was time to move on and retire. I was mucho relieved, because as a child my family witnessed a feuding church and Monterey has never been that way, so it was good news in a sad way, that another chapter is ending at Monterey.

A week later, at our small group in Midland, there is a couple who worked with my youth group at Monterey back in the 70's. Mark and Connie are now shepherds where we attend here in Midland. I was recounting to Mark and Connie Sunday night that the three elders had resigned and the reason being was due to not hearing well in the elder's meetings. One of our precious members of our small group works for an ENT (Ear, nose and throat) doctor here in town. When I said to Mark the men had resigned because they did not hear well, Laura (who works with the doc), says, "Do they have aids?"

Every person in my den looked at Laura with a surprised look, as the room went silent for about what seemed like 30 seconds. Finally, she realized we did not understand what she was asking, did they have hearing aids?

From there, the conversation spiraled into a slap happy, simpled out mode.
I said I could see the church bulletin headlines, Three Elders resign due to Aids.
It got pretty funny and we laughed a long time over that statement.

Needless to say, a huge thank you to EC Leslie, Ken Castle, and Mickey McKandles for the years you have served as leaders of the flock, and thank you for your Godly example of the walk each of you have with the Lord. It is not what you say that makes a difference it is what you do that speaks so loudly.

And to Laura, sweet Laura, you made me laugh harder than I have in a long time.

5 comments:

Peggy N Texas said...

Wow! Since my parents do not attend there anymore, I did not know who the elders where there. It has been years since I have been to Monterrey. Seems like eons since I was the church secretary there!

These men are great men of faith and I appreciate so much all three of them.

I also appreciate men who realize their time of serving has ended in a formal way. I know of two men in a church here that can barely move, not hear at all and still have to "run the show." It is sad. So it makes me appreciate even more the wisdom and faith of these three men.

Thanks for sharing this. Laughing is always good!

Peggy

Hoots Musings said...

Thanks Peggy, I forgot you were a church secretary. Do you remember Ellen Dillard, she was secretary when Nat Cooper preached.

Thanks too for not taking my Aids joke the wrong way. I reread it and thought it was a bit over the top.

Glad all is well with you and Tollie.

Peggy N Texas said...

I really don't remember Ellen. I might if I saw her.

I thought the Aids joke was priceless, especially given the men we were talking about. What a hoot! No pun intended!

And Dee.....my former boss has a tumor on his ear nerves and is going to have it removed this month. Fortunately, (I think!) for him, he was already deaf in that ear. I will let you know how it all comes out.

Peggy

Sara said...

I loved this...sounds like some of the conversations I get into. A bunch of family were sitting around back in the 70's and the gay issue was becoming a hot topic. Mother chimed in, "I never knew what a homosexual was until I married your father." We rocked the house with laughter and Dad just shook his head!!
It's also nice that you have a good testimony of the faithful men who've led the flock in your hometown. In this day when there are so many abandoning the faith, it's great to know these men have stood firm. Good for them!!...and good for you!!

Fred said...

Great memories. I haven't been a member of a church for an extended period, so I always seem to be the new person. Hopefully, I've had my last move.