THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 22, 2005

I'm Back

Wow, a lot has happened to me and my family in one short month.
Besides being a new grandmother, I was also at the place where my only surviving parent was growing weaker by the day and finally succumbed to failing health.

My dear mother passed away last Sunday. I am thankful she has received the Ultimate Healing and is now Home Free,(Thank you Wayne Watson). My mother had a bout with diverticulits (which is no laughing matter), and eventually coilitis. The only medication available for this infection is called flagyll. It is a storng antibiotic. Unfortunately, my mother had a severe reaction to it and it eventually led to her congestive heart failure and death.

I am thankful my mother did not have to go to a nursing home, and even more thankful she did not linger to suffer. When my sister and I talked to her pulmonary specialist and he told us the end was near, we knew our only choice was to keep her comfortable. I encouage a DNR directive and a living will. We had those available to us and used them with caution and common sense.

My mother passed away early last Sunday surrounded by all four of her children and 5 of her 7 grandchildren as we sang hymns and prayed over her.

Would I do anything differently? Yes, I would have listened to her at the beginning when she complained of feeling ill. I would not have changed the DNR order and prolonged her suffering. She went peacefully and is with the Lord.

Attached is my mother with her great granddaughter three weeks before she died. I am thankful my mom looked good and never lost her faculties.

No comments: