Only Animals Need Apply
Is it just me or is there an unsettling trend in American business? I see it this way: Companies want to hire someone as cheap as they can, work them like two or more people (like an animal), have an intolerance for mistakes, not train you, hassle you if you are sick and need to stay home to recoup for a day or maybe two (depending on what you have), talk about you to others but not to you about any shortcomings and eventually let you go for "non-performance" reasons. My wife has experienced this at her last three jobs (all except for the "being let go" ... she ran out of the two previous places because the pressure was so great that it was effecting her health) and so have I. (Hoots here, he left out the part about the office nazi..bless her heart)!
Also, many companies are so specific with their qualifications for a job opening that it becomes harder and harder to find employment. You could be a perfect match on 9 out of 10 qualifications and they won't even talk to you. Oh, yeah, I am marketable. I have a great resume! I have been told that so many times that I could scream!!! Yeah, yeah, so find me a job, Mr. Recruiter. I have an interview this Friday morning. I have sent resumes out all over this great land of ours. Nothing! They don't want to pay for relocation. They don't want to train you or at least as little as possible ... fortunately, I have over 20 years experience in my field, so not much training is necessary. But geez, com'on. Give me a break.
And while this probably isn't literally true, it sure does seem like those that have a good line of BS and schmooze the right people get promoted to management positions. Trust me, they are not qualified and NOT people persons. When you scream at people and belittle them to get things accomplished, that is NOT managing your employees (that happened at my last job ... plant mgr was ... well, never mind.). We reward inexperience and shelve those that have good work ethics. It is a mystery to me. I swear, if I don't get a job in the next couple of weeks, I will enroll at the local junior college, get my CDL and drive a dadgum truck. People are practically begging for good licensed truck drivers.
I am FED UP with this. FED UP I tell you. Can you tell?
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
My sentiments exactly, from my husband's blog today
Posted by
Hoots Musings
at
6:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
as sad as your story is it is not unusual I have talked to many in the same shape and it is esculating
if you listen to washington DC things could not be better, just walk out the front door and people run to offer you a good job but that is just not the case. and it is harder than ever to get training or an education. you are in my prayers.
Post a Comment